Happy New Year to all our Lancaster Locals! May this year bring you joy, happiness and exciting times! If you have been debating buying a new home or have been wanting to move for some time now but do not know where to start? Look no further, I have compiled a helpful chart of must do’s and tips for starting the moving process.
- Let’s make a plan– you are ready to list your house and move first things first is making a plan with your family.
- Find a realtor agent you mesh well with– it is important to find a realtor that you can relate to, one that knows the area better than anyone else
Before continuing through the moving list I want to be sure to touch on the benefits of using a realtor when you are looking to sell or buy a home. There are many ways you can benefit from hiring a realtor and specifically it is their expertise. Expertise in finances, area, location, community, regulations, rules and more. A realtor is a licensed professional that can help guide individuals purchase, sell or rent a property. They advise their clients on the market, give guidance on how to sell their house and assist in many other ways. If you have been considering using a realtor contact me today I would be happy to talk more about my role and how I can help you! Back to our moving list…
- Create a timeline– it is important to create a timeline and stick to it, especially if your house has sold and you need to move out by a certain date.
- Set up a moving budget– by setting a moving budget you will be sure to not waste money or spend money you were not expecting to spend.
- I suggest you check out our declutter blog-this blog will give you some ideas for going through everything in your home, moving can be daunting but with time and focus you can really make a dent in your project of going through your things. Make separations of what is going to the new house, what is garbage and what you will donate.
- Schedule-schedule times to go through your stuff, to pack, to move your things, and to donate your things. Setting up a schedule that sets aside days or times is key!
- Gather– start collecting supplies you will need to help you move. This can be boxes, string, tape, bubble wrap or newspapers. Knowing you will be or are planning moving you can start to collect materials or ask those you know to start saving their boxes. This is a great way to be sustainable and save time when it comes time to pack and you don’t have to worry about scrambling to get the materials.
- Stress less– look at and remind yourself of the bigger picture. Moving can be very stressful and daunting. It is a lot at once and at times can be a lot in a short amount of time. It is important to remind yourself of what the outcome is, your forever home! I suggest listening to music, or asking for your friends or family to come over and help pack while ordering take out! It is a great way to catch up, get some extra hands and enjoy each other’s company at times you’ll feel like it is more of a hang out and not stressing over the work.
- Change- Be sure you take time to change your address with all your subscriptions, bills, credit cards, jobs are aware & family is aware. Share your new address with everyone who needs it and make changes so you don’t miss bills. Take time to change your cable, wifi, license, doctors, school and phones to the new address too.
- Organize- Keep your boxes and bags organized during the move. It is important everything is labeled and you know where everything is going or who is taking what. You do not want to misplace any important medical documents or other personal and financial information that you need no matter where you live!
It is the day officially it is your moving day…what do you need to do?
- Arrange for help if you have children, pets or need extra hands for the move
- If you hired movers be sure you have cash to tip all those who helped
- If you have friends and family helping be sure to place a takeout order to the new home so you all can eat after a hards day of work
- Be sure to do a final clean of your old property
- Get rid of all trash
- Do one last walk through of the house (connect with your realtor of all last minute things you need to get done)
- Set the thermostat to the correct temperature
- Lower the shades or blinds
- Lock all doors and windows
- Leave a nice note or treat for the new homeowners 🙂
It is time to settle in, how do you get started?
- First and foremost do a first go around of cleaning and a walk through of the house (with any questions that could come up reach out to your realtor for advice)
- Unpack the essentials first all things that are necessary for the first few days of being in your new home
- Plan each room-walk through the house to see what each room will be for you. Where is the den or your dining room, who gets what bedroom?
- Go room by room starting with the kitchen first, setting up all your appliances and cupboards
- The second room or rooms to tackle are the bedrooms setting up your closets, your furniture and organizing your closets- each person should unpack their own room to truly make it their own space
- After the bedrooms are done the bathrooms should be the next room you start to unpack and fully stock with all necessities
- Do not feel pressured to rush-take time ordering new appliances or furniture should you need and enjoy the space you now get to be in every day. Take time to truly make it your space a place that meets your needs-an office, outdoor dining, cozy rooms whatever it may be!
As we enter 2021 the year is ours with endless possibilities and opportunities. Have you been debating moving, selling your home or finding a new piece of property? Why not take that chance in 2021 and start the process…New Year New Home…Let’s Cheer! Mary Sue and Derek are both available to be the realtor to get you to the spot where you will enjoy the rest of your 2021 and wonderful years to come!
Contact Mary Sue Wolf to look at homes and properties within wonderful Lancaster County, as a realtor she can provide you with tips and tricks to moving and finding your forever home. You will love it here!
For more information on wonderful homes like 679 Goose Neck Drive call Mary Sue at 717-333-9653 or visit her website at www.WolfandWebb.com