Searching for your perfect home in Lancaster? If you are curious about homes that are currently on the market, our website is a great spot to start your search!
If you have spent any amount of time in Lancaster, I’m sure you have heard about the New Year’s Day tradition of eating pork and sauerkraut. Most of the country eats black-eyed peas for good luck. When I moved here from New Jersey after getting married, I was a little puzzled about this tradition, but it’s one I’ve grown accustomed to and now love to feast on every January 1st. It stems from a German tradition which states that this meal brings good luck in the upcoming year … and hey, I will take anything that brings good luck!
Whether you will be spending your New Year’s Eve outside or huddled at home, here is a list of fun Lancaster County events and traditions that you might want to partake in!
You know how the infamous ball drops in NYC? Well, Lancaster doesn’t drop a ball, but towns in the county (and surrounding areas) do drop a few quirky things:
- AKRON, PA: PURPLE-AND-GOLD SHOE, TO COMMEMORATE THE SHOE FACTORIES THAT ONCE STOOD HERE
- EAST PETERSBURG: A LARGE “HADYN’S JUG” IS DROPPED
- ELIZABETHTOWN: A GIANT M&M, WHICH CHANGED TO A DOVE BAR IN 2012. BOTH DOVE AND M&MS ARE MANUFACTURED HERE
- LANCASTER DOWNTOWN: A RED ROSE IS DROPPED
- HARRISBURG: A STRAWBERRY
- HERSHEY: A HERSHEY KISS
- LEBANON: A 100 POUND STICK OF BOLOGNA
- LITITZ: A MORAVIAN STAR IS RAISED
- MANHEIM: A BALL IS RAISED
- YORK: A WHITE ROSE
- STRASBURG: PING PONG BALLS
Did you know each city had these fun NYE traditions?! If you had to pick, which would you like to attend?
How do we know all of these great Lancaster Local Secrets? We are local real estate agents and residents of Lancaster for more than 30 years!
For more information on the wonderful homes in Lancaster County,
call Mary Sue at 717-333-9653 (WOLF) or visit our real estate website at www.WolfandWebb.com.
No home is too big or too small for our team. We can’t wait to hear from you!
Get new content delivered directly to your inbox.